Saturday, December 13, 2008

Leafy Symmetry




Sorry for the lack of updates -- I recently switched my main monitor from a regular LCD monitor to a HDTV and am still colour calibrating it and tweaking it properly for Photoshop and critical work.

Anyway, here's a shot I took only a few days ago -- this photo is almost a straight conversion from an NEF of my Neem tree sapling which I'm trying to grow. The reason for this shot is that I was struck by how symmetrical the leaves of this sapling were. The standard set up here for shots of this type -- I had a wireless SB600 flash behind a translucent Ikea breakfast-in-bed table and used my favourite 60mm Micro-Nikkor for the shot. The thing about macro is that you really have to control framing, focus and depth-of-field carefully --this shot is actually as framed in the camera, without any cropping at all. As for focussing and aperture, I shot a number of images at different apertures till I could get all the leaves at least mostly in focus. Nikon D200, AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8.

No comments: